keskiviikko 12. joulukuuta 2012

Tech Tuesday @ Boost Turku 4.12.2012


I'll start with explaining about the mysterious thing that is BoostTurku.

" Boost Turku is a student-based network for young entrepreneurs and entrepreneur-minded people sharing knowledge among the universities of Turku. Boost Turku strives to be an ‘easy-access’ open society for any kind of academic entrepreneurial matter. The underlying reasons for being involved in the society vary in large scale. It can be anything from just being interested in entrepreneurship as a concept to aiming to establish a global business changing the world. The core idea of Boost Turku is to match active people and create motion both within and outside of the society. "

(http://www.boostturku.com/about)
 
So when I got intrested of an idea of founding my own company, naturally I was intrested in their activities, so I liked them on facebook.

Then 13th of November, my newsfeed notifyed me of the event, this blogtext is supposed to be about:

TechTuesdays: How to iterate a game until it works

First I must say, that I was very pleasently suprised, by the light and easy-going athmosphere of the place. It is created with a warm welcome, and free refreshments such as snacks and soft drinks.
Also by the people who are genuinly intrested about who you are, and what you do.
Music was playing all the time, while waiting for the presentators to get ready. And friendly chitchat was taking place all around.

After a short wait the presentations started with a welcoming speech, on behalf of BoostTurku. And then continued with presentators from gamestudio called Tribeflame (http://www.tribeflame.com/). They specialize in games for tablet devices. Their speech was about the process into recognizing what are the factors that make the game great. And their process into finding out, what changes are needed to make the game more fun to play.

As a thecnique to achieve this, they presented A / B iteration. Wich basicly means, making multiple versions of the software, and then measuring the average duration of one gaming session. The one more fun to play obviously keeps the players more committed to the game, and that is then selected to be the new baseline. After this, just repeat the process untill you have a product that best suists your customers needs.

After the presentation they answered questions from the crowd, clarifying for example, that they used their own data gathering tool to analyze the players activities. Main reason beeing that free services were not good enough to please their needs.

Then the evening continued with networking, and resumed consumption of refreshments and snacks. All in all, best seminar I've ever been a part of. And I recommend anyone who's at all intrested by the topics in TechTuesdays to take part! I believe they said that the next one will be kept at the beginning of the coming year.

At least I'll be coming back for more! A sinciere thanks for the people @ BoostTurku and to TribeFlame!

P.S. The seminar was wholly kept in English, which suited me fine. Just a heads up :)

P.P.S. If you spot a typo, let me know. Part of why I'm writing this blog, is to sharpen my English.
Thank you for reading! And see you guys soon hopefully! :) Don't hesitate to comment!

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti